If you find yourself waking up with a mouth that feels like sand paper, youâre not alone. In fact, millions of people across the globe deal with dry mouth while sleeping, and there are a number of causes.
So, what can you do to combat this uncomfortable issue? Letâs dive into the causes first.
Causes of Dry Mouth
Dry mouth, also known as xerostomia, results from a lack of saliva. When your mouth doesnât produce enough saliva, bacteria can run rampant in your mouth. This may lead to tooth decay, infections or even tooth loss.
But hereâs the good newsâdry mouth itself isnât a disease but rather a symptom of another condition. Common causes of dry mouth include:
- Natural aging process
- Radiation treatment
- Certain medications
What You Can Do
Sick of dealing with dry mouth when you wake in the morning? We donât blame you. Here are a few easy solutions to try.
- Be sure to stay hydrated by drinking water throughout the day.
- Brush your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Avoid spicy and acidic foods in the hours before bedtime.
- If youâre a smoker or regular consumer of alcohol, consider cutting back on both habits.
- Take a look into the side effects of any regular prescription medication you take. If dry mouth is listed, consider speaking with your medical doctor about a change.
If youâre dealing with persistent dry mouth and canât seem to get it under control, contact our practice to make an appointment. Weâll do our best to get to the root cause of the issue for you.
For more information regarding tooth health, visit our page on dental hygiene.