If youâre looking to achieve a gleaming photo-worthy smile in 2019, whitening is one of the best ways to do just that.
With a number of whitening products on the market from gels and mouthwashes to strips and kits, it can be challenging to know which way to go.
To help, here are some myths weâd like to dispel for you.
- My whitening results will be permanent.Unfortunately, thatâs not the case. As you may drink coffee, tea, wine or dark fruit juices, your teeth are likely to acquire fresh stains. If you want to keep your teeth white, you will need to touch them up periodically.
- All teeth whitening products will produce the same results. While drugstore variety whitening products can get your teeth whiter, they wonât be as effective as a visit to our practice.
- I canât whiten my teeth because theyâre too sensitive. Though it is true that some whitening products can cause increased sensitivity, there are options available. Products that contain lower levels of peroxide (approximately 5-6%) may work for you.
- All teeth will whiten evenly. If you have fillings, crowns or dentures, these restorations wonât whiten along with the rest of your teeth. An uneven look may result.
- I can get results naturally with baking soda. A common household product, baking soda is often considered a natural whitener. Its abrasive composition can help to erase surface stains, but wonât be as effective in removing deeper stains. A significant downside, however, to using baking soda too often is it can damage tooth enamel.
We can provide guidance about the best teeth whitening options to meet your goals. Ask us for more information at your next visit!
For more information regarding this treatment, visit our teeth whitening page.